The GoT family often seems so diverse for those, who have not read the books. It is only natural to lose track of which family is battling who and, who belongs to which House.
Read about the most loved character on Game of Thrones
For a little background, in the world of Game of Thrones, the land mass named Westeros is the most sought after and all Houses want control of this land. There are nine houses in all the Westeros which are described below along with their respective banners –
In the first season, we are introduced to The Stark house and we follow it as one of the main houses in Westeros. This House used to be the original rulers of the North and were the lords of Winterfell. Their well-known motto is “Winter is Coming”. There are many important characters from this house
- Eddard/Ned Stark – Lord of Winterfell and Warden of North
- Catelyn Stark- Ned’s wife
- Robb Stark -Ned and Catelyn’s oldest son who is the heir to Winterfell
- Sansa Stark -Ned and Catelyn’s oldest daughter
- Arya Stark – Ned and Catelyn’s youngest daughter
- Bran Stark -Ned and Catelyn’s middle son
- Rickon Stark -Ned and Catelyn’s youngest son
- Jon Snow- Ned’s illegitimate son, member of the Night’s Watch
- Benjen Stark -Ned’s younger brother, First Ranger of the Night’s Watch
This house is situated at Casterly Rock in the Westerlands. Later on, the Targaryens conquered the Seven Kingdoms but before that, Lannisters ruled the area. The geographical location has goldmines which make them very rich. Their motto is “Hear me roar”. The main house members are –
- Tywin Lannister -He is the head of the house, Lord of Casterly Rock and Warden of the West
- Cersei Lannister- She is Tywin’s daughter, Jaime’s twin and Queen of the Seven Kingdoms
- Jaime Lannister – The oldest son of Tywin’s, Joffrey’s biological father and is also a member of the Kingsguard
- Tyrion Lannister -He is Tywin’s youngest son, an imp by birth but has an impeccable gift of gab.
- Joffrey Baratheon is Cersei’s eldest son, earlier thought to be Robert’s son but his father is actually Jamie.
- Myrcella Baratheon – Cersei’s eldest daughter, her father is Jamie too.
- Tommen Baratheon -Cersei’s youngest son
In the Stormlands, the main ruling house is House Baratheon. The leader of the house is King Robert and their motto is “Ours Is the Fury” The main individuals you need to know in this GoT family are-
- Robert Baratheon – He is the King of the Seven Kingdoms. His wife is Cersei from Lannister House.
- Stannis Baratheon is Robert’s younger brother, Renley’s older brother and Lord of Dragonstone which is the secondary seat for the house
- Renly Baratheon – He is the youngest brother of the Baratheon brothers, Lord of Storm’s End
Another important GoT family whose members play an important role in the development of the story is the Targaryen House. This house managed to overthrow ruling houses to become supreme leader of Seven Kingdoms. Their Motto is “Fire and Blood”. After they lost the reign and Iron Throne to Robert, the Targaryen former King’s children were exiled to Essos.
- Daenerys Targaryen- Leader of the House
- Viserys Targaryen -Daenerys’s brother
- Aerys II Targaryen -Daenerys’s father who was the former King of the Seven Kingdoms aka the mad king
Balon became the Lord of Iron Islands after Targaryens conquered Westeros. Their motto is “We Do Not Sow” Lord Balon’s son Theon was given to Starks as a hostage to live in Winterfell. They are great sailors and have a number of ships in their arsenal.
- Balon Greyjoy – Lord of the Iron Islands
- Theon Greyjoy -Balon’s son, heir to the Iron Islands
- Asha/Yara Greyjoy -Balon’s only daughter and oldest child
A castle called Eyrie in Vale is the residence for Arryn House. Their motto is “As High as Honor”
- Jon Arryn – Head of the house and former Hand of the King Robert. He was dead when GoT story begins and Ned Stark took his place
- Lysa Arryn -Catelyn’s younger sister
- Robert Arryn -He is Lysa’s son and Lord of the Eyrie
This house ruled in Drone and was the only house to resist Targaryens when they ruled the rest of the Seven Kingdoms for 300 years. Martell doesn’t get along well with Lannisters and thus is distant from other Houses too. Their motto is “Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken”
- Doran Martell – He is the Prince of Dorne
- Oberyn Martell – Doran’s youngest brother
Other GoT family that one should know are –
The inhabitants of Riverlands are House Tully. Catelyn Stark and Lysa Arryn are originally from Tully, the daughters of Hoster Tully, the Lord of Riverrun. Their motto is “Family, Duty, Honor”
- Hoster Tully – Leader and Lord of Riverrun, Catelyn and Lysa’s father
- Edmure Tully -Hoster’s only son and heir to Riverrun
This house is located in Reach, in the High garden. They were made Lords of High Garden by Targaryens. Margaery was Renly’s wife but after his death, she was betrothed to Joffrey Lannister. The house motto is “Growing Strong”
- Mace Tyrell The Lord of Highgarden
- Olenna Tyrell -She is Mace’s mother
- Margaery Tyrell -Mace’s daughter and wife of Renly Baratheon
- Loras Tyrell -Mace’s son, heir to House Tyrell